1. How do I show proof of completed online registration renewal to police ?
Until a copy of your renewed registration and stickers are received by mail, a printed copy of the confirmation page or recorded authorization number is proof of renewal being completed at SNB Online.
- For lawful operation on the highway, the New Brunswick Motor Vehicle Act requires not only that a vehicle be registered on the motor vehicle system but that the vehicle display a valid licence plate, which includes valid registration stickers affixed to the licence plate.
- Vehicle owners have a 10 day grace period after renewal of the registration before they must have the stickers affixed to their plates. In this case, the driver of the vehicle must have in their possession proof of registration (Online Receipt) within this 10 day period in the event a Police Officer requests it.
- For more information concerning the NB Motor Vehicle Act or related penalties, please call the Department of Public Safety Motor Vehicle Branch at (506) 453-2410.
2. What do I need to do a registration renewal?
You will require the current registration for the vehicle, a valid credit card (MasterCard, Visa or American Express) or debit card and your insurance information if applicable.
Your address on your registration must be correct to renew at SNB online.
3. My address or vehicle information is wrong on my registration, how can it be changed?
The address needs to be correct on registration to renew at SNB Online.
Address change and vehicle registration renewal can be done together by visiting your nearest SNB Location.
Go to Vehicle Registration Renewal
4. What are the hours for renewing by Internet?
SNB Online Vehicle Registration Renewal is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
5. How do I know the transaction is secure?
For conducting online transactions, Service New Brunswick uses a secure server. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is technology that creates a secure environment for the information transferred between your browser and Department of Public Safety, Motor Vehicle Branch system.
All information is encrypted (scrambled) so that no one else can read the information being sent back and forth. SNB Online Vehicle Registration Renewal system SSL allows a 40-bit key size for the encryption.
6. What types of payment are accepted?
SNB Online accepts Visa credit or debit card, MasterCard, American Express or Interac Online as methods of payment. The following financial institutions are currently offering Interac Online: RBC Royal Bank, Scotiabank, and TD Canada Trust.
7. How will the renewal charge fee show up on my credit card statement?
Your credit card statement will be as follows:
SERVICE/SERVICES NB FREDERICTON NB $AMOUNT
8. Does it cost extra to renew by the Internet?
No. There is no additional fee to renew by the Internet
9. How will I know what amount is being charged to my credit card?
10. Will I get a receipt?
The amount will show on the Receipt screen along with an authorization number for your records. Please record the authorization number OR print the screen for your records.
No. We recommend you print the screen with the confirmation of successful renewal. Keep this authorization number and mailing information to use as record or receipt.
11. What other transactions can I do online?
Visit www.snb.ca and click Online Services.
12. How long does it take to receive the new registration and stickers?
You will receive your new registration and stickers by mail within 7 – 10 business days.
13. What are the service centre hours and locations?
Click on Locations for a compete list of offices and hours of operation.
14. Do I need proof of insurance to renew online?
You must provide the required insurance information for all vehicles with the exception of trailers and all-terrain vehicles. NOTE: Snow vehicles that are not operated on your personal property must be insured. It is an offence to not have valid insurance where required.
Insurance information is requested as verification of vehicle insurance and will not be used or shared for any other reason.
15. My name has changed. Can I still renew online?
Yes. However, you cannot change your name on line as you must show proof of the name change. Visit an SNB location and bring your support documents (i.e. court order, marriage certificate, etc) as soon as possible to have your name properly recorded.
16. Can I renew more than one vehicle at a time?
Yes, you can renew more than one vehicle in a single transaction online.
17. Do I need a valid NB inspection?
Yes (for most vehicles). All vehicles (except for all terrain, mopeds and motorcycles) are required to display a valid inspection sticker in order to be operated on the highways.
18. How do I know if my renewal was successful?
Vehicle renewal application will show a screen with the message "Update of your plate is successful" or "Update of your plate is pending"as well as a confirmation number. Print the screen or record the confirmation number as a receipt.
19. If I renew more than one licence plate, do I have to show proof of insurance for each one?
Yes, if insurance is required for that vehicle type. The system will prompt you for the insurance information for each vehicle separately (see FAQ #14).
20. I renewed by Internet, but now I changed my mind and don't want to renew the vehicle. Can I receive a refund or reverse the transaction?
You will need to make application for refund. Please contact or visit an SNB Location for procedures.
21. What should I do with my old registration?
Upon receipt of your new registration and licence plate stickers in the mail, you may discard your old registration. Be sure to place the plate stickers on the plate(s) immediately.
22. What if I get an error message and cannot complete the transaction?
Contact the SNB Help Desk at 1-888-832-2762.
To ensure that we maintain a connection between our secure server and your computer for the duration of an online transaction, we use a standard web technology called "cookies". Cookies allow us to save the information that you input while progressing through an online transaction.
This site does not use "cookies" to gather personal information about customers.
24. The serial number for my homemade trailer is less than six characters. How do I enter the serial number?
When renewing a homemade trailer you must always enter NA for the serial number regardless of how it is displayed on your registration form.
25. Motor Vehicle Renewal Help - PLATE NUMBER.
Refer to your current registration for your license plate number. Enter plate number with no spaces or hyphen, ex: abc123.
Amputee, Transporter, Miscellaneous, Seasonal, Diplomat, and Dealer plates cannot be renewed online.
26. Motor Vehicle Renewal Help - VEHICLE SERIAL NUMBER.
Refer to your registration for the first 6 characters of the Vehicle serial number. Only zeros are used in a serial number, not the letter O.
When renewing a homemade trailer you must always enter NA for the Vehicle serial number regardless of how it is displayed on your registration form.
27. Motor Vehicle Renewal Help - RENEWAL TERM.
Antique, Call Sign, Conservation, Firefighter, Heavy Commercial, Light Commercial, Passenger, Personalized, Taxi, and Veteran plate types can all be renewed for a term of 1 to 12 months. The following plate types have a fixed expiry date of March 31: Trailer, Motorcycle, Moped, Antique, Farm and Commercial Tractor. The following plate type has a fixed expiry date of December 31: Off Road.
28. Motor Vehicle Renewal Help - POSTAL CODE .
If the postal code of your current address does not match your vehicle registration, you must visit a local SNB office to update your address.
Go to Vehicle Registration Renewal